Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Which way does the scale tip?

If you are hurt on the job and file a workers’ compensation claim, chances are that you will have to meet with a healthcare professional to discuss your injury. It is very common that a doctor or medical examiner will ask you a series of questions to determine the level of pain you are experiencing. It is important to properly answer the questions asked by the healthcare professional because it can affect your pain management.

It is common for your doctor or medical examiner to ask you questions to help determine the amount of pain you are experiencing so they can better manage your pain. You are expected to answer the questions to the best of your ability. Doctors and medical examiners administer a very common questionnaire called the Visual Analog Scale. This questionnaire might seem simple at first, but may actually be quite difficult if you do not know how to properly answer the questions.

The questionnaire asks questions, and you are to answer the questions based on a scale (i.e. 1 to 10 or 1 to 5). Sometimes, the scale has images associated with each number. The images are very helpful because they are normally faces that are expressing levels of pain. If there are no images, there should be instructions. The instructions will most likely have a statement of an amount of pain that is associated with a number on the scale. It is important you know what the scale actually means. Below is an example of a set of instructions for a scale found in a questionnaire[1]:

Level 1 = My pain is barely noticeable.
Level 2 = My pain is noticeable with no distress.
Level 3 = My pain is disturbing but with no distress.
Level 4 = My pain causes me some distress, but I have no coping problems.
Level 5 = My pain causes me distress; I have some coping problems.
Level 6 = My pain causes me distress; I have significant coping problems.
Level 7 = My pain is starting to interfere with my ability to function.
Level 8 = My pain is causing moderate interference with my ability to function.
Level 9 = My pain is causing sever interference with my ability to function.
Level 10 = I’m unable to function at all because of my pain.

Please remember that this is only an example of what a set of instructions may look like. Also, if you are unsure of what something means in the instructions provided to you, be sure to ask your doctor.

Tom Whitley, Esq.
The questions become more difficult if there are no instructions or images provided. If this is the case, be sure to ask the medical examiner to tell you the actual meaning of the scale and numbers. Always remember to keep the instructions in mind because your answers will provide the doctor with valuable information that can alert him to changes in your condition.

If you were hurt on the job, you may have many questions regarding your injury and what steps you need to take. The experienced and knowledgeable attorneys at Taylor and Associates, PLLC are ready to answer your questions. Contact us at help@injuredworker.com or by phone at 1-800-358-CATS (2287).


Attorney Advertising. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.



[1] Pain Scale document provided by Sierra Tucson.

No comments:

Post a Comment